Database migration can be referred to as the process of moving databases in between storage types, formats, or systems. Businesses and corporations might need to move their databases for various reasons, such as server or storage equipment replacements, maintenance or upgrades, application migration, website consolidation and data facility relocation. Accomplishing this consists of moving all database objects and categories: table definitions, data, indexes, constraints, views, triggers, stored procedures and processes, user accounts, roles and permissions.
Databases could possibly be migrated manually or programmatically through the use of advanced program known as database migration tools. Manual approach usually comprises these steps:
- export table definitions along with indexes and constraints from the source database in form of SQL statements
- convert these statements into the destination format and import to the target database
- export data from the source database into an intermediate storage like comma separated values (CSV) files
- transform the data according to the destination format and load it to the target database
- extract views, stored procedures/functions and triggers from the original database in form of SQL statements and code
- convert these statements and code into the destination format and load into the target database
Immediately after loading to the new program, the finished data needs to be verified so as to figure out if the database was correctly transferred, complete and possesses appropriate supports for programs in the new system. It can be recommended to run both source and destination database systems concurrently throughout the verification process to determine regions of disparity, and forestall loss of data or corruption.
For big and advanced database migration project, it is best performed programmatically to obtain an automatic process flow, relieving human resources of challenging tasks. It is essential to select the suitable tool to relocate the database in the expected time-frame without loss of data or corruption.
Listed below is the list of primary functions that can be made available with the use of excellent database migration tools:
- All recent versions of source and destination DBMS are supported
- Table definitions, indexes and constraints are converted with all necessary attributes
- Conversion settings must be stored into a profile for next use
- Full Unicode support
- Option to customize types mapping, conversion rules, etc
- Command line support
- Comprehensive documentation and 24/7 support service
You will find a variety of software businesses that offer devoted resources to automate database migration. Among such companies is Intelligent Converters working in the field of database conversion, migration and synchronization since 2001. They create a wide variety of conversion tool that aid migration of databases between all well-known database management systems like PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Azure SQL, Microsoft Access, FoxPro and SQLite. Go to https://www.convert-in.com to learn more about Intelligent Converters and their software.