The curtain hanging on the top of your window is not just a mere decoration to improve the interior design of your home. As you probably know, a curtain does not only keep the light and heat out of the room. It also cools it down throughout the day and protects you from the prying eyes of your neighbours.
On the other hand, no matter how beneficial a curtain is, we often take it for granted. After all, we only draw it up and down twice a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. Due to that, sometimes, we do not give importance to cleaning our curtain at home in Singapore. We do not pay much attention to it since we do not use it so much in a day. Moreover, a curtain does not become dirty quickly as much as a carpet is.
So, why does not cleaning it is such a big deal? Well, you see, not cleaning it can affect your health as well as to your surroundings. To convince you more, we have listed down the reasons why you should clean your curtain.
- All the dust and dander embedded in your curtain can trigger your allergies.
- Without cleaning your curtain for so long, it would eventually develop a foul smell. When that happens, your room will become stuffy to breathe.
- The more you neglect cleaning it, its colour will become greyer each time.
Once you do clean your curtain, you can expect that it will last longer. With that, you would not need to keep buying a curtain every year. That saves you more time and money, too!
How Frequently Should Clean Your Curtain?
Fortunately, a curtain does not require much maintenance as a carpet is. All you need to do is use your spare time every week to clean it. To give you a hand on how many times you should clean it, we have listed down its frequency and how to do it below.
- Choose a day in a week when you can vacuum it.
- Before vacuuming it, make sure to shake them well. It will help to get rid of any lingering dust and dander.
- Instead of vacuuming it alone, consider attaching the dust brush of your vacuum. It can remove the excess fabric fibre showing on your curtain.
- You can do this either every 15th of 30th of the month.
- As for this one, consider bringing your curtain to the cleaning services where you take your carpet. They can thoroughly clean it inside out.
To further explain how you should clean your curtain, here’s what you need to do.
How to Clean a Curtain?
There are many ways to do it since it depends on what kind of fabric and style it has. You see, some curtains are too delicate to be washed in a washing machine. So, to give you an idea on how you should clean it, we listed down the details for a few types of fabric.
- For Standard Fabric
If your curtains are store-bought and it has an unlined fabric, you can throw them off in the washing machine. However, make sure to wash it panel by panel. Otherwise, it would tangle up inside, and the fabric would not get cleaned. So, wash it one panel at a time. Make sure to run your washing machine in a gentle cycle and use room temperature water.
Once done, let it dry outside. You can hang it either in your patio or veranda. However, if you prefer drying it in the dryer, choose the lowest heat setting. That way, it would not get wrinkled later on.
- For Sheer or Lace Material
This kind of curtain requires delicate care. It means that you would need to use your hands to wash it. Here’s how you should hand wash it.
- Fill the basin with warm water.
- Add a few drops of biodegradable detergent.
- Place one panel and massage it until it bubbles.
- If your curtain has a stain on it, soak it in the basin for an hour.
- Rinse it well until you can no longer see the bubbles.
- Once done, dry them off outside.
- For Heavy, Thick Drapes
Usually, for heavy materials, you would need to send them off to the dry cleaners since it requires special care. So, if you have heavy, thick drapes, it would be a good idea to let the dry cleaner clean it.
Can You Clean the Curtain While It Is Still Hanging?
Well, yes, you can! You can clean your curtain without removing it. Here some tips on how you can do it.
- Use a lint roller to remove excess fabric fibres.
- You can also use some duster if you do not have any lint roller at home.
- Shake them out by holding the end of your curtain. Do it gently so it would get unattached to its rod. Make sure to vacuum your floor afterwards.
- For stains, soak the area with hot soapy water. Once done, rinse it with cold water.
- Spray some deodoriser so your curtain would smell nice and clean.
You can do the following tips mentioned above if you do not have much time cleaning your curtain.
As you can see, cleaning your curtain at home in Singapore is not that easy. So, in case you ever need help, it would be a good idea to seek some help from cleaning services. ContactThe Laundry Club today! They can help you clean your curtain thoroughly!
Visit their website today and find out how their cleaning services work!